This Simple Berry Trifle can be made with any kind of fresh fruit and makes a beautiful presentation without cooking a thing.
Disclaimer Notice: Some of the links on this website may be affiliate links, which means I may earn a commission if you purchase something by clicking through that link. It does not increase the cost to you, and it helps me to keep this website running. That said, I only promote products or services I believe in, personally use, or find to have great reviews. Thank you for your support!
What is a trifle?
Basically a trifle is a dessert made with some kind of fruit, some kind of cake, and something creamy. Although trifles are simple, they are elevated to elegance by their fancy glass containers. Every kitchen should have a pedestal trifle bowl or set of mini trifle bowls.
Trifles are quite possibly the perfect summer desserts. They can be assembled quickly, you can make them a day before you serve them, and the single pedestal clear glass bowl makes a beautiful presentation.
Simple Berry Trifle
Consider this Simple Berry Trifle an entry level beginner version. After you complete your first trifle and see how easy they are to make, you’re going to want to create more!
For this Simple Berry Trifle you’ll need a pre-made Angel Food Cake, 2 containers of Cool Whip, blueberries, strawberries, and a trifle bowl.
The first step is to prepare the cake and fruit. Rinse the blueberries and strawberries. Remove the tops of the strawberries and cut into bite sized pieces. For this Simple Berry Trifle, I cut the cake in half horizontally (like a hamburger bun) then cut it into small slices. For the prettiest presentation, each piece of cake and fruit should be cut into similar shapes and sizes.
Set aside a few of the prettiest pieces of cut fruit for garnishing the finished trifle. Place a layer of cake in the bottom of the trifle bowl. Next, arrange some of the fruit around the perimeter of the bowl right against the glass sides so it will be visible when the whipped cream is added.
Then add a layer of fruit to cover the cake.
Add a layer of Cool Whip being careful not to bury the fruit around the perimeter of the bowl.
Repeat the process of adding a layer of cake and fruit.
Top with a final layer of Cool Whip. Finish by arranging a few pieces of fruit on top.
This Simple Berry Trifle makes a great dessert for a patriotic holiday celebration like the 4th of July or Memorial Day. Of course, you don’t need a holiday to serve this light, delicious dessert.
Simple Berry Trifle
- Angel Food Cake prepared
- 2 8 oz containers of Cool Whip
- 1 cup Blueberries washed
- 2 cups Strawberries washed and sliced
- Set aside some of the fruit pieces to garnish the top of the finished trifle.
- Cut the cake into small slices or cubes.
- Place a layer of cake in the bottom of the trifle bowl.
- Next, arrange some of the fruit around the perimeter placing them against the sides of the trifle bowl so they will be visible when the Cool Whip is added.
- Add a layer of fruit to cover the cake.
- Add one container of Cool Whip and spread evenly being careful not to bury the fruit on the sides of the bowl.
- Repeat the process of adding a layer of cake and fruit.
- Top with the other container of Cool Whip.
- Finish by arranging a few pieces of fruit on top.
- Cover lightly and place in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Can be stored in refrigerator up to 24 hours prior to serving.