Apple Pie is one of those year-round comfort foods. It’s served during fall as a feature dessert for many Thanksgiving meals. It’s also served in the summer time with a scoop of ice cream. It can be dressed up in a fancy pie dish with elaborate crust details, or you can pick one up at the grocery store. But did you ever think of making an Apple Pie into a cookie?
Apple Pie Cookies are amazing! And aren’t they so cute? They taste exactly like Apple Pie because they contain all the ingredients of traditional Apple Pie with one surprising addition. Caramel!
This versatile recipe can be completely homemade from scratch OR if your aren’t into scratch baking, I’ve got some shortcuts just for you!
Apple Pie Cookies
Here’s what you’ll need: 1 package of refrigerated pie crusts, caramel topping, apple pie filling, 1 egg, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar.
If you prefer to make a more “from scratch” version of these Apple Pie Cookies, you can make your own crust, caramel sauce, and apple pie filling.
Set crusts out and allow to slightly warm. This will make them easier to work with. Dust your working surface with flour and roll out the pie crusts. Spread a thin layer of caramel sauce over the entire crust.
Pour apple pie filling onto a cutting board and chop the apple pieces to make them smaller. Big chunks of apple don’t work very well in these cookies.
Next, spread the apple pie filling over the caramel.
Cut the second pie crust into 1/2 inch strips. Arrange strips in a lattice pattern as shown. You can weave them or just lay the second layer on top as I did.
Use a round cookie cutter to cut the circle cookies. Transfer them to a baking sheet covered with a non-stick mat or prepared with non-stick spray. Beat egg in a bowl and brush lattice tops with egg wash. Combine sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg and sprinkle over cookies. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- 1 package Refrigerated Pie Crusts (2 crusts)
- 5 oz Caramel Sauce
- 10 oz Apple Pie Filling
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- ¼ tsp Nutmeg
- ¼ cup Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a nonstick cookie sheet and set aside. Or you can use a nonstick cooking mat.
- Allow crusts to set out and slightly warm to make them easier to work with.
- Dust working surface with flour and roll out the pie crusts.
- Spread a thin layer of caramel sauce over the entire crust.
- Pour apple pie filling onto a cutting board and chop the apple pieces to make them smaller.
- Spread apple pie filling over the caramel layer.
- Cut the second pie crust into ½ inch strips and arrange strips in a lattice over the pie filling layer.
- Use a round cookie cutter to cut circle cookies. Transfer them to prepared baking sheet.
- Beat egg in a bowl and brush lattice top with egg wash.
- Combine sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg and sprinkle over top of cookies.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Love it? Pin it! Share it!