This Cabbage & Beef Stir Fry dish has become one of our favorite meals and there are several reasons why.
- It is a healthy, low carb meal.
- It’s quick and easy to make.
- You can change the flavor of the entire dish by the spices you choose to add at the end.
- It reheats well to serve as leftovers for lunch the following day.
Sound like a recipe you need in your collection?
Here’s what you’ll need to make it.
Cabbage and Beef Stir Fry
Lean ground beef, carrots, 2 small or 1 large cabbage, soy sauce, Montreal Steak seasoning.
Start cooking your ground beef in a large frying pan. While it’s cooking go ahead and dice the carrots up nice and small.
Once the ground beef is browned add the diced carrots. Give it a stir and allow to cook while you cut up the cabbage.
Don’t be intimidated by this large, round vegetable. Here’s how I cut up a cabbage.
- Start by cutting the stem end off the cabbage.
- Stand the cabbage up on the flat surface you just created by cutting off the stem.
- With the tip of a chef’s knife, cut the core out of the cabbage. Repeat with the other half.
- This is how it will look with the core removed.
- Now cut the half in half. (Ta-da…you just made a quarter!)
- Place one quarter of the cabbage with a flat side down as pictured.
- Make thin slices until you have a small piece left. Be careful!
- When you have a little piece left like this…
- Roll it forward so the larger flat area is now facing down on the cutting board.
- Continue making thin slices until it’s done.
See…it isn’t as hard as you thought!
Now add all your shredded cabbage to the pan.
Stir to combine. Continue to stir about every 3 minutes until the cabbage reaches your preferred doneness. I usually cook mine a total of about 8 minutes.
Now is the time to decide what flavor you want your Cabbage and Beef Stir Fry to have. I’m adding Montreal Steak seasoning and soy sauce to this one, but I’ll give you more options below.
Generously sprinkle Montreal Steak seasoning all over the surface of the cabbage mixture. Stir well then sprinkle it a second time.
Pour in the soy sauce.
Then cover and let simmer 3-5 minutes.
Dinner is served!
You can change up the flavors in this dish by changing the spices and sauce you add at the end.
For a Mexican flavor, sprinkle with taco seasoning and add diced tomatoes or salsa.
For an Indian flavor, sprinkle with Garam Masala and add soy sauce and a shot of vinegar.
For an Italian flavor, sprinkle with Italian seasoning and add basil, garlic and oregano flavored diced tomatoes.
- 1½ to 2 pounds Lean Ground Beef
- 2 small or 1 large Cabbage
- 2-3 Carrots, diced
- ½ cup Soy Sauce
- 1 Tbs Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 1-2 Tbs Olive Oil (if using super lean ground beef you may need to add oil)
- Brown ground beef. Drain any excess fat that cooks out of the ground beef.
- Dice carrots and add to the beef. Allow to cook about 5 minutes.
- Add shredded cabbage and stir. Allow to cook about 8 minutes stirring every 2-3 minutes.
- Season with Montreal Steak seasoning and stir.
- Pour in soy sauce and cover. Allow to cook another 5 minutes.
Try your own flavor combinations and leave a comment below to share your favorite flavors!