When our second oldest son was about three years old we were invited to spend New Year’s Day with some close friends. As tradition dictated, one of the things we served was black-eyed peas. Being a good southern mother, I insisted that each of my children try at least one black-eyed pea. After much drama, my then three year old reluctantly complied. Then his body instantly revolted, he gagged, and gave it right back to us. Later that night he woke up from a nightmare of a bean plant attacking him.
Maybe you have these kinds of fears related to kale?
If you’ve been a little hesitant to try kale, this is just the recipe to start with. The first dish I ever introduced to my family featuring kale was this Sausage and Kale Soup. It has since become a regular dinner in our family, especially in the colder months.
Want to know more about kale? Check out these 23 Science-Backed Health Benefits of Kale.
Here’s how to make Sausage and Kale Soup.
You’ll need an onion, garlic, olive oil (not pictured), carrots, kale, chick peas, sausage, and beef broth.
Before you start chopping up veggies, go ahead and cook your sausage so it’s ready to go in later. Drain and set aside.
Chop up the onion and garlic, then cook in olive oil over medium to low heat. Cook till softened.
Be sure to remove any large stem pieces from the kale, then add it to the pot in batches. Fill the pot with some kale…
Stir it around and let it cook down a bit…
Then add more kale. Repeat until all your kale is in the pot.
Next add your carrots. Sometimes I get whole carrots and cut them up myself, but for this batch of soup I bought my carrots pre-cut from the produce section of my grocer. It’s a great time saver when you need it!
Stir and allow the carrots to cook about 3-5 minutes. Then add the chick peas (drained).
Add the cooked sausage to your pot. Stir. Then add the beef broth.
Turn the heat back up and allow the soup to come to a boil. Reduce heat and allow to simmer 15 minutes so all the wonderful flavors come together. When the carrots are cooked, the soup is done.
Sausage and Kale Soup
- 1 medium Onion chopped
- 2-3 cloves Garlic chopped
- 2 Tbs Olive Oil
- 1 large bag of Kale
- 3-4 Carrots sliced or diced
- 2 cans Chick Peas also known as Garbanzo Beans, drained
- 2 lbs Sausage I like to use Jimmy Dean's Italian Sausage., cooked and drained
- 2 boxes Beef Broth
- Cook the sausage in a large fry pan. Drain and set aside.
- Place chopped onion, garlic and olive oil into a large dutch oven. Cook on medium to low heat until vegetables are softened.
- Add kale to the pot. Stir and allow to cook down a bit. Once it has cooked down in size, add more kale. Repeat this process until all your kale has been added to the dutch oven.
- Add carrots, stir and cook about 5 minutes.
- Add both cans of chick peas, drained. Stir.
- Add cooked sausage and beef broth. Stir well.
- Raise heat to high and allow the soup to come to a boil. Once heated to a boil, reduce heat to low and allow to simmer 15 minutes or until carrots are done.
That picky black-eyed pea hating son of ours is now in college. He loves this soup!
He still hates black-eyed peas, though.