Several years ago my husband and I hosted the annual chili cook off contest at our church. The previous year we had entered the contest but were not among the winners. So we decided to change up our recipe.
We searched online for award winning chili recipes. We read through numerous recipes making a list of our favorite ingredients as we went. Then we sat down together and decided which ones we wanted to include in our recipe. That year we won the chili cook off! The Best Beef and Sausage Chili recipe below is the recipe we created, and we haven’t changed anything about it since.
This Best Beef and Sausage Chili recipe has become a family favorite dinner. It’s easy to make a huge pot to feed a crowd and is perfect for tailgating, the Superbowl, camping, Halloween night, having friends over, or even a weeknight meal.
Best Beef and Sausage Chili Recipe
1 medium Onion
4-5 cloves Garlic (not pictured)
1 Red pepper
2 Jalapeno peppers
2-3 Tbs Olive oil
1 lb ground beef
1 lb ground sausage
Carroll Shelby’s Chili Kit (omit the packet of masa flour)
2 cans Black beans
1 large can Bush’s Best Chili Beans
32 oz Beef broth
1 can Rotel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies
2 cans Hunt’s Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
Begin by dicing the onion, garlic, red pepper and jalapeños. We do not include the seeds of the jalapeños and dice them up really tiny. Place all the diced veggies into a large pot and sauté in olive oil until tender.
Once the veggies are all tender add the sausage and ground beef into the pot.
Cook until the meat is no longer pink stirring occasionally.
The seasonings come next. The Carroll Shelby’s Chili Kit includes a packet of masa flour, but we don’t use it. If you like really thick chili, you may want to add it. If you prefer not to use the chili kit, you can substitute 3 tablespoons chili powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper. We experimented with many different chili powders and really love the taste of the spices in the Carroll Shelby’s Chili Kit best.
After stirring in the spices, add the chili beans. We don’t even drain the liquid in the cans. Everything goes into the pot!
Now we’re ready to add some liquid. In goes the entire box of beef broth.
And lastly we add the Rotel and Fire Roasted Diced tomatoes.
Stir everything together and simmer for at least 20 minutes. If you prefer more liquid you can add some water or more beef broth at this time. You can also let the chili simmer for an hour or longer if you like to make it ahead of time. Just watch the liquid levels and simmer on low. Your house will smell delicious!
Serve the Best Beef and Sausage Chili with shredded cheddar cheese, corn chips, and sour cream. Sweet Corn Cakes also make a great accompaniment to this meal.
- 1 medium Onion
- 4-5 cloves Garlic (not pictured)
- 1 Red bell pepper
- 2 Jalapeños
- 2-3 Tbs Olive oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground sausage
- Carroll Shelby’s Chili Kit (omit the packet of masa flour)
- 2 cans Black beans
- 1 large can Bush’s Best Chili Beans
- 32 oz Beef broth
- 1 can Rotel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies
- 2 cans Hunt’s Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- Dice the onion, garlic, red pepper and jalapeños. Do not include the jalapeño seeds.
- Place all the diced veggies into a large pot and sauté in olive oil until tender.
- Once the veggies are all tender add the sausage and ground beef into the pot.
- Cook until the meat is no longer pink, stirring and breaking up the meat as it cooks.
- When meat is cooked, add all packets in the seasoning kit except the masa flour.
- Stir in the spices, then add all cans of beans including juices.
- Add beef broth and stir.
- Add Rotel and diced tomatoes.
- Stir and let simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
Love it? Pin it!
You might also like: