Here’s an easy dessert that makes such a pretty presentation. Consider it an updated version of the classic favorite Pineapple Upside Down Cake. They are great served warm out of the oven or you can make them ahead and chill them before serving. Your family (or guests) will think you spent hours preparing them, but you don’t have to tell them how easy they are to make if you don’t want to.
Here’s the entire cast of ingredients: butter, brown sugar, maraschino cherries, crushed pineapple (you can also use the slices or chunks for a different look), yellow cake mix (or any yellow cake recipe), eggs, and vegetable oil. You’ll also need a muffin pan.
Spray muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray. In each muffin cup place 1 teaspoon melted butter, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, a maraschino cherry in the center, and top it all with a heaping tablespoon of crushed pineapple.
We’re altering the cake mix recipe, so pay no attention to the directions on your cake mix box. In order to get that delicious pineapple taste in every bite, we’re going to use the juices from the pineapple to make the cake batter. Here’s how to do it. Combine yellow cake mix, eggs, pineapple juice and vegetable oil. Mix with an electric mixer on low about 30 seconds then on medium speed for about 2 more minutes.
Pour the cake batter into each muffin cup filling them to the top. Bake at 350 degrees about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool at least 5 minutes before inverting muffin pan onto wax paper to release. Serve “upside down” with pineapple and cherry sides up.
- ½ cup Butter, melted
- 1½ cups Brown Sugar
- 24 Maraschino Cherries
- 2 (20 ounce) cans Crushed Pineapple
- 1 box Yellow Cake Mix
- 3 Eggs
- 1⅓ cups Pineapple Juice
- ⅓ cup Vegetable Oil
- Move an oven rack into the middle of the oven. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray 24 muffin cups with non-stick cooking spray.
- Line a work surface with waxed paper.
- Spoon 1 teaspoon melted butter into the bottom of each muffin cup.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon brown sugar in each muffin cup.
- Press a maraschino cherry into the center of the brown sugar in each muffin cup.
- Spoon a heaping tablespoon of crushed pineapple over the cherry and compact it with the back of a spoon into an even layer.
- Mix yellow cake mix, eggs, pineapple juice and vegetable oil in a large bowl with an electric mixer on low speed until moistened, about 30 seconds. Turn mixer speed to medium and mix for 2 minutes.
- Pour cake batter into the muffin cup, filling them to the top; do not overfill.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- Allow cupcakes to cool at least 5 minutes before inverting muffin cups onto the wax paper to release. Serve with pineapple and cherry sides up.