It’s a regular weeknight. You’re craving comfort food. It doesn’t need to be fancy, but you really want something that’s stick-to-your-ribs good. Something that reminds you of your childhood. It would also be nice if there was no complaining about dinner and the kids actually loved it.
Such a meal does exist!
I’ve been making this simple, tummy-pleasing Hamburger Rice Casserole for about 20 years now. Sometimes I make 2 casseroles at once and freeze one for later. It reheats great as leftovers, too!
Hamburger Rice Casserole
The list of ingredients are simple. You probably have most of these already! Ground beef, onion, olive oil, cream of mushroom soup, chicken noodle soup, rice, salt, pepper, and crushed potato chips.
Sauté chopped onion with olive oil in a deep pan skillet for 2-3 minutes over medium heat.
Add ground beef and cook until meat is browned. Remove pan from heat and drain.
Here’s where it gets a little strange. The cream of mushroom soup seems like a logical choice, but chicken noodle soup? Really? Yes, really! Add cream of mushroom soup, chicken noodle soup, salt and pepper into the pan.
Stir until combined. Those noodles add an unexpected texture and another level of flavor to this dish.
Next, add the cooked rice.
Stir the rice into the ground beef and soup mixture.
Pour rice mixture into a 2 quart casserole dish that has been coated with nonstick spray.
Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
NOTE: This recipe can be prepared ahead of time or frozen. Place rice mixture into an aluminum pan and cover with aluminum foil. Store in the refrigerator to cook later, or you can freeze it.
Carefully remove from oven and top with crushed potato chips.
Bake uncovered another 5 minutes.
My kids love this Hamburger Rice Casserole! There are literally cheers in my house when they see this is what’s for dinner. I hope your family loves it, too.
Leave a comment below and let me know what your family thinks.
- 1-2 pounds Ground Beef, cooked and drained
- ½ Onion, chopped
- 2 Tbs Olive Oil
- 1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 can Chicken Noodle Soup
- 4 cups Rice, cooked
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Pepper
- 10-12 Regular Potato Chips, crushed
- Sauté chopped onion with olive oil in a deep pan skillet for 2-3 minutes over medium heat.
- Add ground beef and cook until meat is browned. Remove pan from heat and drain.
- Add cream of mushroom soup, chicken noodle soup, salt and pepper into the pan. Stir until combined.
- Add cooked rice and stir well.
- Pour rice mixture into a prepared 2 quart casserole dish.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Carefully remove from oven and top with crushed potato chips.
- Bake uncovered another 5 minutes.
Love it? Pin this recipe for later!
You might also like:
|Easy Beef Stroganoff|
in the Crockpot
|Coca-Cola Pulled Pork|
in the Crockpot
|Easy Beef Enchiladas|