Sure you can buy bags of pre-made snack mixes, but there’s just something extra special about a homemade snack mix. Start out with a box of cereal and some nuts, add a little love, and you end up with caramel coated crunchiness no one will be able to resist.
There isn’t anything especially Christmas-y about this snack mix, but I always seem to make it around the holidays. Of course, it can be enjoyed anytime! It’s so simple to make, you might even whip it up for an after school snack.
Caramel Pecan Snack Mix
Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
1/2 cup Karo syrup
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 box Quaker Oatmeal Squares cereal
2 cups pecan halves
Using a pot large enough to hold the entire box of cereal, combine the syrup, brown sugar, and butter.
Heat until it boils.
Remove from the heat and add vanilla and baking soda. Stir well.
Pour in the cereal and pecan halves. Stir until well coated.
Line a 9×13 baking pan with aluminum foil, then pour mixture into the pan. It does not need to be in a single layer.
Bake for 1 hour at 250 degrees, stirring every 20 minutes.
Spread onto a flat baking sheet or foil covered countertop. Separate pieces and allow to cool.
This Caramel Pecan Snack Mix makes a great gift! Print your gift tags HERE.
Enjoy a bowl while watching a movie with the family.
(Here’s a list of Christmas movies!)
- ½ cup Karo syrup
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 box Quaker Oatmeal Squares cereal
- 2 cups pecan halves
- Combine the syrup, brown sugar, and butter in a pot large enough to hold the box of cereal (you'll add that later). Heat until it boils.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla and baking soda. Stir well.
- Pour the cereal and pecan halves into the pot. Stir until well coated.
- Transfer mixture into an aluminum foil lined 9×13 baking pan. It does not need to be in a single layer.
- Bake for 1 hour at 250 degrees, stirring every 20 minutes.
- Spread onto a flat baking sheet or foil covered countertop. Separate pieces and allow to cool.
- Store in an air-tight container for up to 2 weeks.